In this article, we are going to discuss on hoe to install Google TV launcher on any Android TV before the official launch. This can be tricky as sideloading the apk will not work. This is because of the default/stock Android TV launcher.
Follow the below article carefully as we are going to use some methods which aren’t familiar to many of the users. But if follow the steps as mentioned below, you will most probably not face any type of issue.
About Google TV Launcher
According to Play Store listing, “Google TV Home is the basis for all activities on your Google TV entertainment device. Browse thousands of movies, shows, and live TV channels from your subscriptions without having to jump between apps. Discover new things to watch with recommendations based on what you watch and what interests you.”
Steps to Install Google TV Launcher
The process is little tricky but who are familiar with ADB, will be able to do this very easily.
Setting Up ADB in our Desktop/Laptop
Well, these days most people are not familiar with ADB, so first, we going to setup ADB in our system (desktop or laptop).
- Download the “Platform-tools” (ADB and Fastboot drivers).
- Extract the downloaded file. (remember the path, we will need it later)
- You will find a folder naming “platform-tools”, this folder consists of files like adb.exe or fastboot.exe
- Now, open cmd in administrator mode.
- Copy the path of the extracted folder, i.e., platform-tools.
- And paste it in the cmd window with cd in the front, take a look at the example below:
There is one more trick to directly open the cmd with the exact directory.
- Open the folder, in our case, ‘the platform-tools’
- You will see the path in the navigation bar.
- Click on the navigation bar and remove the path from there.
- And finally, type ‘cmd’ in that bar and press enter.
- Boom, command prompt will open within the same directory.
Install and Use Google TV Launcher
Here comes the main trick, if you try to sideload the apk it will not work as it will fail to replace the default Android TV launcher.
Yesterday, a Redditor pointed this out and showed the way to actually install Google TV launcher and use it properly. To do so, we will have to disable the default Android TV launcher. Follow the below steps properly:
First, we are going to download and sideload the apk to our Android TV.
- Download the apk from here.
- Then copy the apk to the Android TV. You can use any method to do so. You can use any thump drive, but we like to do this using the ‘Send File to TV‘ app.
- And then using any file explorer app, install it.
Now, we are going to disable the default Android TV launcher.
- Open Device Preferences of your Android TV.
- Then go to Build Version under the About section.
- Now, repeatedly press it until Developer Options are enabled.
- After enabling, go back to the Device Preferences menu and open Developer Options.
- Now, enable USB debugging and Network debugging.
- Finally, go back to About section and tap on Status to get the IP Address.
Now, go back to your PC, we are going to connect your Android TV to your PC via ADB.
- Open the command prompt window, which we earlier learnt.
- Now type the following command. Note: You may need to add “:5555” to get this working
adb connect [insert IP address]
- After that use the following command to disable the default Android TV launcher.
adb shell pm uninstall –user 0 com.google.android.tvlauncher
That was all. You have done all the steps to install Google TV launcher successfully in your Android TV.
In case, you want to return back to old launcher, use the following command:
adb shell cmd package install-existing com.google.android.tvlauncher