Are you struggling while accessing or transferring data from your local drive to online self-hosted servers? And you are trying to figure out which FTP Client is suitable for you? Then here we are with 5 Best FTP Client Available Right Now
We’ll share the best FTP clients for both Mac and Windows in this article and mention the pros and cons of each so that you get a better idea of which one to choose.
What Is an FTP Client?
FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a standard network protocol used to transfer computer files from one host to another over a TCP-based network, like the internet. For instance, you can upload files from your PC and transfer them to your online self-hosted servers using FTP.
What Should You Look for in an FTP Client?
No matter for which OS you are looking an FTP client, you need to look for a software which is easy to use irrespective of your skill level.
Look out for these features in your FTP client software:
- A simple interface so that beginners can understand and use it
- It should have one common access point
- Ability to preconfigure settings such as protocols, IPs, and ports, so that it can push them to users
- It should support for SFTP
- Password encryption for added security
- Backup and syncing options
- Cross-platform support (if required)
- Drag and drop support
- Multiple languages available
- Remote file editing
- Directory comparisons
To use an FTP client, you should have an FTP username and password so you can connect it to your server’s website. You should have received this info when you first set up your website and your web hosting account. If you don’t remember what your username and password are, you can always check your hosting cPanel or ask support.
Filezilla is one of the most popular open-source FTP clients available for all three major platforms – Windows, Mac, and Linux. This FTP client is simple to use, and it features a friendly UI. It also comes with the comprehensive documentation which has the solution to every question a beginner would have regarding the FTP clients.
- Support for FTP, FTP over SSL/TLS, and SSH FTP
- Remote file searching
- Support for IPv6
- Secure transfers
- Remote file editing
- Portable version available
- Dated drag and drop interface
- Will install adware upon installation and display ads upon running
Filezilla is an FTP client that can be used by everyone regardless of their platform or skill level.
This is one of the easiest to use FTP client solutions for Windows, it is not available for Mac. It’s a simple, open-source solution so that you can download, upload, and edit files easily. With the files on your PC on one side and your server’s files on the other side, this GUI is easy enough for beginners.
- Advanced user support for FTP, SFTP, and SSH
- Language switcher (default English)
- Integrated text editor with drag and drop support
- Master password for enhanced security
- Foreground transfer can move to the background transfer queue
- WebDAV support
- Scripting and task automation
- No default installation of adware
- Cannot toggle between 2 great interfaces (must change preferences)
- No way to edit keyboard shortcuts
WinSCP is one of the most powerful and free to use FTP client solutions for Windows users.
Cyberduck is a free FTP client that can be used for both Windows and Mac. It is different from other cross-platform FTP client solutions; you can integrate it seamlessly with your native Mac environment and it is one of the best Mac FTP clients available. It also supports Mac features like storing login credentials in the keychain and also locating files in the Finder.
- Simple interface for beginners
- Allows for remote file editing
- Works with several external code editors
- Open files and edit both text and binary files with a click of a button
- Wide range of protocols including FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV
- Advanced SSH functionality and bookmarking capability
- Client-side encryption
- Supports API connections with cloud drives like Google Drive and Dropbox
- Multiple languages
- Tends to run slower than other FTP clients
- No portable version
- Download from anywhere other than official website can come with adware
Even though it is available for both Windows and Mac, it is best suited for the Mac platform. It is inexpensive to use too.
CuteFTP is not an open-source FTP client solution and it offers users advanced functionality and premium support at $59.99. You can expect it fully loaded with the power and security found in an FTP client and it works great for both Windows and Mac.
- Superior support
- Supports OpenPGP encryption and file compression
- FTP, SFTP, and WebDAV support
- One Time Password authentication
- Scheduling and automation features like backups and syncing
- Built-in wizard to help novice users
- Integrated, color-coded HTML editor
- Segmented downloading
- Steep learning curve for beginners
- No connection support for cloud IaaS provider
- No file comparison feature
CuteFTP is a powerful FTP client solution, it allows you to transfer large files. It has added features like accessing and sharing files from a PC or a mobile device.
5. Free FTP
Free FTP was designed to be both powerful and user friendly. It costs around $39. You can connect to your server with just a click of a button and upload/download files by using drag and drop on either server or computer. The organized UI ensures the status of your work and you can always pause or cancel your file transfers.
- FTP, SFTP, FTPS, and more
- secure, easy to use for all skills of people.
- Convenient history feature for finding files
- File and folder permissions
- Statusbar for quick status view
- Make Zip Archive feature for site backups
Free FTP is a great choice for those looking for a basic FTP client solution. If you are looking for more advance options, you can get the premium one.
These are the best FTP Clients that you can use in 2020. Before downloading any of the above, make sure that it is suitable for your platform. Once you’ve shortlisted the ones which are suitable, choose the one which has more features and it inexpensive. You can always upgrade to premium for more advanced features.